What to do BEFORE Job Fairs / Interviews
- Dress for success! Pick your clothes day before make sure the are comfortable and presentable.
- Bring several (20) copies of your resume.
- Practice your 20-30 second elevator speech (tell them about your skills).
- Plan child care in advance (if needed).
- Research company websites (if you know the participating companies).
- Confirm address and directions of interview and/or job fair.
- Set your alarm to wake you up early to get to your interview / job fair on time.
What to do AT the Job Fairs / Interviews
- Arrive during the first half of the event. Why? because some employers may leave early.
- Turn off your cell phone.
- Be polite to everyone.
- Look directly at interviewer and maintain good eye contact.
- Repeat and write down the recruiter’s (employer representative) name during the conversation.
- Ask recruiters for their business cards.
- Hand recruiters your resume.
- Take notes. Your notes will remind you of important information after the event.
- Maintain a professional demeanor.
- Ask intelligent and appropriate questions.
- Smile and shake hands with interviewer & each new recruiter you approach.
- Be confident.
- Argue with Interviewer / Representative
- Wear jeans, club or party attire
- Exaggerate your skills, knowledge or experience.
- Ask employers, “Do you have any jobs?”
- Talk negatively about former employers.
- “Drop off” your resume. Take time to speak to representative / interviewer.
- Chewing gum.
- Words like, “ummm” or, “ya know.”
- Interrupt a recruiter’s conversation while someone is talking with them. Wait your turn.
What to do after Job Fairs / Interview
- Follow up. Contact the Interviewer / Recruiter by email, send your resume or submit application online.